Join us live Sundays at 10am PST / 1pm EST
November 8th to 29th
We will provide a broad understanding of the purpose of initiation and various paths within Bwiti, examining several different traditions and the various initiations within them.
Each 1.5 hour webcast will include short clips of video material collected in villages that practice various branches of traditional Bwiti, live presentations from guests, followed by a moderated Q&A periods for our online participants joining from around the world.
Week 1: The Beginning
Sundayt, November 8
Guests: Tatayo and the Ebando team
- What is Bwiti?
- Roles in Bwiti initiation/treatment
- Instruments in Bwiti: ngombe, mogongo
- What is an Nganga
- Nima/Kombo/Nima na Kombo
Week 2: Dissumba Fang
Sunday, November 15
Guest: Ndongho Maviso & Mama Djedje
- History of the Fang tradition
- Dissumba vs. Dissumba Fang
- Ombwiri/Mbumbayano Fang
- The kambo
- State of Fang Bwiti in Gabon
- Impact of Westerners coming to work with the sacred wood
Week 3: Missoko
Sunday, November 22
Guest: Mama Maingo & Mambongo Hilarion Kassa Moussavou
- History of the Missoko tradition
- Various branches of Missoko initiation:
- Ngonde Na Dipuma
- The impact of logging on the tradition
- What the future of Bwiti could look like in Gabon
Week 4: Dissumba
Sunday, November 29
Guests: Mama Aline & Dipanda
- History of Dissumba
- Various branches of Dissumba initiation:
- The ngombe (sacred harp)
- Healing rituals involved in her tradition
- Training to serve the wood.
- What does it involve?
- How long does it take?