We will provide a broad understanding of the purpose of initiation and various paths within Bwiti, examining several different traditions and the various initiations within them.
Each 1.5-2 hour recording includes short clips of video material collected in villages that practice various branches of traditional Bwiti, presentations from guests, followed by moderated discussions.
Part 1: The Beginning
Guests: Tatayo and the Ebando team
- What is Bwiti?
- Roles in Bwiti initiation/treatment
- Instruments in Bwiti: ngombe, mogongo
- What is an Nganga
- Nima/Kombo/Nima na Kombo
Part 2: Dissumba Fang
Guest: Ndongho Maviso & Mama Djedje
- History of the Fang tradition
- Dissumba vs. Dissumba Fang
- Ombwiri/Mbumbayano Fang
- The kambo
- State of Fang Bwiti in Gabon
- Impact of Westerners coming to work with the sacred wood
Part 3: Missoko
Guest: Mama Maingo & Mambongo Hilarion Kassa Moussavou
- History of the Missoko tradition
- Various branches of Missoko initiation:
- Ngonde Na Dipuma
- The impact of logging on the tradition
- What the future of Bwiti could look like in Gabon
Part 4: Dissumba
Guests: Mama Aline & Dipanda
- History of Dissumba
- Various branches of Dissumba initiation:
- The ngombe (sacred harp)
- Healing rituals involved in her tradition
- Training to serve the wood.
- What does it involve?
- How long does it take?